India Country Information
Tamil Nadu, a state in southern India, is one that has a rich history and tradition, and many of the most famous temples and religious sites in the country. Chennai (formerly Madras), the capital of Tamil Nadu, is the fourth largest city in India, located on Coromandel Coast off the Bay of Bengal.
Unique Challenges for India Volunteers
Volunteers departing in June 2012 will be WorldTeach India’s very first cohort. Volunteers must be able to handle a high-level of uncertainly and demonstrate flexibility as you work with our Indian partners in establishing volunteer roles and expectations. This is an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of shaping a WorldTeach program and setting high expectations for our volunteers as is within our other programs.
Given that volunteers will be living at the orphanages where they work, volunteers will need to be creative in engaging with students beyond their expected teaching duties, but also skilled in setting boundaries.
Web Resources for India
- Embassy of India to the United States
- India News | News from the World News Network
- BBC on India | News and Country Profile
- New York Times on India | News, Country Profile, and Travel Guide
- Background Notes | From the US State Department
- Country Study | From the US Library of Congress
- CDC | Health Information
- Ministry of Tourism | Official Ministry of Tourism Site
- World Nomads India | Internet Resources
- Incredible India | Official Government Tourism Site
- Maps of India | Various Maps
- South India | Vast Portal of South Indian Information
- South India Tourism | Regional Tourism Information
- World Newspapers | India’s Major English Language Publications