Poland Country Information
Poland is the largest country in Central Europe, and is situated on the eastern frontier of the newly enlarged European Union. The country lies along the Baltic Sea, with a coastline running some 300 miles. Poland’s shape roughly resembles a square measuring 400-440 miles across.
Poland has a very diverse landscape. Lowlands occupy the larger part of the country, especially in northern and central Poland. The Baltic seacoast features beautiful and large sandy beaches. Located in the northern and eastern parts of the country, the Pomeranian, Masurian and Greater Poland Lake Districts are home to innumerable lakes, and are popular summer holiday destinations for those interested in camping, fishing, swimming, or sailing.
For hikers, the Sudeten and Carpathian Mountains stretch along Poland’s southern border. Trails are well-marked and easily accessible, and hiking and mountaineering are regular pastimes among Polish young people. The Sudeten belong to the oldest massifs in Europe with Mt. Sniezka (1602m) as their tallest peak.
Poland’s rich natural environment also includes many primeval forests and woods, much of which are protected in 23 national parks. A dense system of water courses converge into two major Polish rivers, the Vistula and the Odra.
Unique challenges for Poland Summer Volunteers
Poland Summer volunteers will find that their host families and schools are incredibly welcoming. However, because most of our volunteers do not come to Poland speaking Polish, the language barrier can be quite difficult for some. Most of our volunteers find that with a little bit of patience, a good sense of humor, and a few charades, they are able to communicate quite well with their families and students. It may also be difficult for some volunteers to be placed at schools far from their co-volunteers because the group grows close after spending the first week together in Orientation.
Web Resources for Poland
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs | Visitors' Portal (in English)
- Embassy of Poland to the US
- US Embassy in Warsaw | Important mostly for contact information and assistance while you are in
. In general, though, the website contains information for Polish citizens wishing to go to the US. Poland
- Warsaw Voice | English-language news
- BBC on Poland | News and Country Profile
- Background Notes | From the US State Department
- Country Study | From the US Library of Congress
- CDC | Health Information
- Mapa Polski | An excellent map resource in Polish. Type in the name of the town or village you want to look up in the little rectangle to the left of "Pokaz"; then click "Pokaz".
- Polish History Index | Extensive information on
's history and language Poland
- Maków Mazowiecki | Official site. All information is in Polish; however it's worth visiting the website to view some pictures of the city.
- Poland National Tourist Office
| Travel information and advice
- Poland.com | Loads of information on
, mainly tourist oriented. One of the most comprehensive travel information websites on Poland in English. Poland